Spread the word, not the bacteria
Legionella Awareness Day - 30th AUGUST 2017Reported cases of Legionnaires Disease have increased by 35% this year alone. In England and Wales, 80 people have died from the disease in the last five years, not including those that were left seriously ill or with effects on long-term health.
This silent killer is EASILY preventable.
Join us for Legionella Awareness Day on Wednesday 30th August 2017 and help raise awareness and learn how to keep safe from this avoidable disease. For more information see www.legionellaawarenessday.co.uk/
Tips to Avoid Legionella
- Use hot and cold water instead of lukewarm water:
- Water above 60°C kills legionella bacteria and water under 20°C keeps it from growing.
- Keep your shower clean: If you haven't used your shower for a week, run it for five minutes before you use it (taking care not to inhale the water). Clean and disinfect your showerhead every three months.
- Keep your water systems clean: Legionella bacteria grow rapidly where there are nutrients like rust, sludge and slime (also known as biofilm).
- Be careful in the garden: Legionella grows in soil so wear gloves and handle soil in a well-ventilated area when gardening. Standing water in hosepipes and water butts can be breeding grounds for Legionella bacteria.